Silicomanganese is an alloy composed of manganese, silicon, iron, and a small amount of carbon and other elements. we can call it simn. It is a ferroalloy with wide application and large output. Simn is a compound deoxidizer commonly used in steelmaking, and it is also a reducing agent for the production of medium and low-carbon ferromanganese and the production of metal manganese by the electrosilicothermal method.
The characteristics of silicomanganese
- Silicomanganese is an alloy with strong oxidation resistance, which can prevent the oxidation and decarburization of steel and improve the quality of steel.
- Simn has a high melting point, which can maintain the physical properties of the alloy and maintain stability at higher temperatures.
- Silicomanganese has good plasticity and ductility and is easy to process and operate.
- The cost of the simn is low, and it is an economical and practical alloy material.
Knowledge about silicomanganese
Manganese and silicon are the main alloying elements used in carbon steels.
Manganese is one of the most important deoxidizers in the steelmaking process. Almost all types of steel need to use manganese for deoxidation, because the oxygen products generated when manganese is used for deoxidation have a low melting point and are easy to float. In addition, manganese can also increase the deoxidation effect of strong deoxidizers such as silicon and aluminum. All industrial steels need to add a small amount of manganese as a desulfurizer so that the steel can be hot-rolled, forged, and other processes without being broken. Manganese is also the most important alloying element in various types of steel, and more than 15% of manganese will be added to alloy steel to increase the structural strength of steel.
Silicon is an important alloying element next to manganese in pig iron and carbon steel. In steel production, silicon is mainly used as a deoxidizer for molten metal, or as an alloy additive to increase the strength of steel and improve its performance. Silicon is also an effective graphitization medium, which can change the carbon in cast iron into free graphitic carbon. Silicon can be added to standard gray and ductile irons up to 4%. A large amount of manganese and silicon are added to molten steel in the form of iron alloy.
The raw materials for producing simn include manganese ore, manganese-rich slag, silica, coke, dolomite (or limestone), and fluorite. A manganese ore or a mixture of several manganese ores (including manganese-rich slag) can be used to produce manganese-silicon alloy. Since manganese-silicon alloy requires lower iron and phosphorus content than high-carbon ferromanganese, manganese ore for smelting manganese-silicon alloy is required to have a higher manganese-iron ratio and manganese-phosphorus ratio. The higher the manganese content of the manganese ore used, the better the indicators.
The production process of silicomanganese
1. Raw material preparation: Ferrosilicon and manganese ore are the main raw materials of silicomanganese, which need to be purchased regularly.
2. Mixed charge: Mix ferrosilicon and manganese ore evenly in a certain proportion to form a charge.
3. Furnace smelting: Put the charge into the electric furnace or blast furnace for high-temperature smelting, and add an appropriate amount of oxidant to control the reaction.
4. Separation of products: After smelting, the alloy and slag are separated.
5. Alloy treatment: After the silicon-manganese alloy is cooled, it is treated to remove impurities and make the alloy have good chemical properties.